Legal segal

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Being A Baton Rouge Lawyer

Being a Baton Rouge lawyer, life has been pretty busy since hurricane Katrina hit. I am a trial lawyer, specializing in insurance claims and real estate, so you can only imagine how hectic things have gotten down here. Much of the surrounding area has been destroyed, and because it is a so-called “act of God”, the insurance companies don't want to give a penny. The aid of a good Baton Rouge lawyer like yours truly can help, but ultimately, things have been pretty dismal for a lot of poor folks who lost their homes. Real estate is another area where there has been a big increase in the need for a Baton Rouge lawyer. Down here, there has been so much devastation from the flooding that property lines are often destroyed. People want to make sure that their houses are rebuilt using fair property markers, so they hire a Baton Rouge lawyer. Meanwhile, my firm has also been doing a considerable amount of business with the real estate developers, who have been hired to rebuild whole neighborhoods together, and need the services of a Baton Rouge lawyer who is familiar with local law to help streamline negotiation of the red tape. Our firm itself suffered considerable damage as a result of hurricane Katrina, both in lost hours of work, and in structural damage to our offices, so all of us are pressured to suddenly be working 60 or more hours a week! The reason I became a Baton Rouge lawyer in the first place, instead of setting up in somewhere more central and lucrative like New Orleans, or even New York, is because I didn't need the high pressure of working those kinds of work weeks. It is simply to much to do. I love being a Baton Rouge lawyer, but I love to relax and spend time with my family too. I don't believe that your career should be your whole life. If things continue as they have been, I won't continue being a Baton Rouge lawyer for much longer. The town has already changed so much, and the federal agencies in charge of rebuilding have done nothing to ensure that things stay the same. People have been moving away in droves, and it just doesn't feel like much of my old town is left anymore. I enjoy Louisiana, and I enjoy being a Baton Rouge attorney, but I'm feeling ready to throw in the towel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home